CHROMED: Clié (and Palm) ROM Editor
Table of content:
Chromed latest version is version 0.7beta, which you can downloaf here:
Caution, I've been advised of bug in the latest version of Chromed: if you put a library
in ROM (Mathlib, Zlib), the OS can't use it even if the file appears correctly in the ROM file
list. This is certainly caused by a sorting order problem in the file directory, and this bug
will be fixed in the next version of Chromed.
26 JUL 2002: v0.7b release:
Minor tweaks and fixes...
10 MAY 2002: v0.6b release:
- Corrected a bug which would prevent the m505 serial number to be found
- Corrected a bug that would prevent the m505 and the NR-70V ROM images
to be opened by Chromed.
- Added Big ROM file addition function. Doesn't work yet on S500C ROM images
(the emulator doesn't recognize the ROM as a S500C ROM anymore), but it
works OK on other ROM images I've tested Chromed with (non-EZ PalmOS 3.5,
m505 EFIGS, N710C, N760C, N770C, S300, NR70E/J...).
- Added the Debug menu and inserted debug log points here and there to help
find the problems in my poorly coded program...
- Added Database Edition form. The resources cannot yet be edited, but you
can display a database name, creator, etc... Not yet very usefull, but
we're getting closer! ;-)
- Added support for non-EZ PalmOS 3.5 ROM images (it crashed Chromed in 0.5b)
- Hopefully fixed all memory leak bugs... I didn't find any leak during my
limited testings, please report any problem on that matter.
- 23 JAN 2002: v0.5b release:
- Corrected a few lot of bugs... ;-)
- Added file deletion capabilities to Chromed. This is working correctly
now (i.e. it doesn't crash Chromed as often as it initially did <g>),
but in some cases the emulator refuses to run the modified ROM images
(essentially the S500C, T600C ROM modified images crash the emulator).
For other devices (namely S300, S320, T415, N700C, N710C, N760C and OS
3.5 Palm devices), the emulator seems happy with the ROM images, chances
are that the actual devices would also be, but just in case wait some
more before attempting any ROM reflashing as I could yet discover some
- 07 JAN 2002: v0.4b release:
- Corrected a bug which would cause the Readme.txt, Reflash.txt and Register.txt
files opening to fail if they were not found in the current work directory.
- Converted the various .txt documentation files to Rich Text Files (.rtf)
for a nicer output, and modified the help dialog to allow the viewing
of these files from within Chromed without external browsers. Note that
the pictures and part of the formating are not shown when reading the
doc from within Chromed.
- 06 JAN 2002: v0.3b release:
- Added Database Save function, this should work for both applications
(.prc) and databases (.pdb) files. Note that there is no null byte stripping
at the end of each resource/record, which is why the resulting filesize
may be slightly bigger than when using the "Export database"
feature of POSE.
- 03 JAN 2002: v0.2b release:
- Added ROM Save / Save as functions. Not that much usefull as the ROM
edition functions are not yet implemented, but now you can see the result
of the modifications! :-)
- Wrote Language/Country locale editing routines for Small ROM and Big
- Added CRC check / calc functions so that the ROM won't be loaded if
the CRC is wrong, and the ROM can now be used on the emulator after being
modified (POSE would complain if the CRC was wrong).
- Corrected a small bug in the ROM relocation routine that would cause
the first byte of the Big ROM not to be relocated, causing problems with
- 01 JAN 2002: initial v0.1b "Snapshot" release:
Chromed isn't useable yet (except to list the files included in a ROM and
various information extracted from the ROM), but since I promised to make
the first release in late December 2001 / early January 2002, I felt I had
to release something, if only to let you see that Chromed isn't VaporWare,
it's just the usual "Behind-Schedule-Ware"... ;-)
Here's a (non exhaustive) list of things that I plan to do in the near or far
- Basic File Edition (change the name, creator, flags, etc...),
- Advanced File Edition (add, delete or modify text, bitmap, etc... resources),
- File Localisation (create an overlay file, extract one from an application,
merge one with its application, translate it, etc...),
- Automatic Recording of all the modifications, to enable a later reproduction
of the very same modifications,
- Change Chromed into a multi-windowed application to allow simultaneous ROM
modification, with "drag & drop" support between the ROM or
- If you've got any idea or suggestion, do not hesitate to tell